Chef George Duran is an author, entertainer, and host. He’s also a realist when it comes to eating meals with his children. “I’m always aiming at eating every night together, but with two boys there are days that just does not happen,” says Duran, who was once host of TLC’s Ultimate Cake Off and The Food Networks Ham on the Street.
Still, dinner is a sacred – if frantic— ritual in the Duran household. “I cook dinner every single night… and it’s sometimes a challenge to find something that everyone likes,” he says. “Yes, sometimes I feel like a short-order-cook, but the challenge is to find the same meals that we all enjoy together.”
“The Dad Special” is a celebration of food, family, and fathers who cook. Featuring chefs, celebrities, and kitchen crazy dads, this collection highlights meals – from family secrets to quick kid delights – meant to honor time spent at the table.
Duran says that they’ve finally made the leap to Taco Tuesdays in his house “thanks to the ‘discovery’ of flat, hard-shelled tacos – aka tostadas.” One meal that his family always enjoys is this huevos rancheros recipe that he layers and then bakes in a muffin tin, a step that simplifies the whole process. And Duran still puts his entertainment chops to good use at the table. “It’s hard to keep the attention span on my younger son, so we’re always playing word games and trivia games at the table.”
George Duran’s Muffin Pan Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- Non-stick spray
- 3 small flour tortillas, cut in half
- 6 tablespoons of canned refried beans
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cravings Chunky or Restaurant Style salsa (or similar salsa), plus more for serving
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons of grated cheese of choice
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and form each halved tortilla into a cone and press hard into each muffin mold until it forms into a “cup”
- Divide refried beans and about 1 tablespoon of salsa into each tortilla cup, evenly, then crack one egg into each
- Add 1 tablespoon grated cheese on top of eggs and bake in oven for 13 – 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a couple of minutes before removing each cup and topping with more salsa
- Garnish with chopped cilantro